Eka Pada Bakasana II is an advance posture for Eka Pada Bakasana I.
- Perform Salamba Sirshasana II.
- Exhale; lower the legs until they are parallel to the floor. Bend the left knee and rest the left shin on the back of the upper left arm as near the armpit as possible as in Bakasana. Move the right leg to the right until it extends beyond the right arm, so that the inner side of the right thigh touches the back of the upper right arm.
- Exhale, pull the trunk up, raise the head off the floor and extend the neck forward. Now bring the right leg in front and stretch it straight without touching the floor. Stretch the arms straight and balance.
- Stay in this position for 10 to 20 seconds, with full extension of the spine and the right leg. Try to breathe normally.
- Bend the right knee, place the head on the floor and go to Salamba Sirshasana II.
- Repeat the asana on the other side for the same length of time, keeping the left leg stretched straight in front and the bent right leg back of the upper right arm.
- There are two ways of completing the pose. You can bend the leg stretched straight in front, then go up to Sirshasana and lower the legs. Once you have mastered this method you may try the other one. Here you keep the leg stretched straight in front. Then you bend the elbows, stretch the bent leg back and keep it straight and parallel to, without touching, the floor. Keep the whole body and the head off the floor. You will now be in Eka Pada Koundinyasana II. Then exhale, rest the head on the floor, bend both legs and go up to Sirshasana II. Then move into Urdhva Dhanurasana followed by Viparita Chakrasana.
Effects of Eka Pada Bakasana II
In Eka Pada Bakasana II the abdominal organs and muscles as well as the hands, chest and back become stronger. Here our own body acts as a weight-lifting apparatus and the different directions in which it moves cause the various parts of the body to bear the weight and thereby gain strength.
This article is presented to you by Abhyasa Yoga, Hyderabad. Contact +91 9292403492, +91 40 64641292 for yoga classes.