Mala means a garland. There are two different techniques for doing Malasana I.
- Squat on the haunches with the feet together. The soles and the heels should rest completely on the floor. Raise the seat from the floor and balance.
- Now widen the knees and move the trunk forward.
- Exhale, wrap the arms round the bent legs and rest the palms on the floor.
- Take the hands one by one behind the back and clasp the fingers.
- Then stretch the back and neck up.
- Remain in this position for 30 to 6o seconds breathing normally.
- Now exhale, bend forward and rest the head on the floor. Stay in this position also for 30 to 6o seconds with normal breathing.
- Inhale, raise the head from the floor and return to position 5.
- Release the hands and rest on the floor.
Effects of Malasana I
Malasana I tones the abdominal organs and relieves backaches.
This article is presented to you by Abhyasa Yoga, Hyderabad. At Abhyasa you can learn and practice Hatha Yoga, Power Yoga, Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga, Asana, Pranayama and Meditation. Interested students may apply for Yoga Teacher Training Course at our Yoga Institute. Contact +91 9292403492, +91 40 64641292 for yoga classes and more details.