Marichyasana II is a variation of Marichyasana I
- Sit on the floor, with the legs stretched straight in front.
- Bend the left leg at the knee and place the left foot at the root of the right thigh. The left heel should press the navel and the toes are stretched and pointing. The left leg is now in half Padmasana.
- Bend the right leg at the knee. Place the sole and heel of the right foot flat on the floor. Keep the shin of the right leg perpendicular, so that the right thigh and the right calf touch each other and the right heel touches the perineum.
- Bend slightly forward, stretch the right shoulder forward until the right armpit touches the perpendicular right shin. With an exhalation, curl the right arm round the right shin and thigh, bend the right elbow and turn the right forearm behind the back at the level of the waist. Then move the left hand behind the back and clasp the right hand with the left at the wrist.
- Stretch the spine up and hold this position for a few seconds, breathing deeply.
- Exhale, move the trunk and head forward and rest the head on the bent left knee. Then extend the neck and rest the chin on the left knee. Repeat this movement three or four times, inhaling while coming up and exhaling while going down. Inhale, move the head and trunk up, release the hands, straighten the legs, and then repeat the pose on the other side for the same length of time.
Effects of Marichyasana II
As Marichyasana II is an intensified form of Marichyasana 1, its effects are greater. The heel at the navel puts extra pressure on the abdomen so that the abdominal organs are toned better and grow stronger and digestive power increases.
This article is presented to you by Abhyasa Yoga, Hyderabad. At Abhyasa you can learn and practice Hatha Yoga, Power Yoga, Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga, Asana, Pranayama and Meditation. Interested students may apply for Yoga Teacher Training Course at our Yoga Institute. Contact +91 9292403492, +91 40 64641292 for yoga classes and more details.