Marichyasana IV combines the movements of Marichyasana II and Marichyasana III.
- Sit on the floor with legs stretched straight in front.
- Bend the right leg at the knee and place the right foot at the root of the left thigh. The right heel should press against the navel and the toes should be stretched and pointing. The right leg is now in half Padmasana.
- Bend the left leg at the knee; place the sole and heel of the left foot flat on the floor. Keep the shin perpendicular to the floor so that the left thigh and the calf touch each other and the left heel touches the perineum.
- With an exhalation, turn the spine about 90 degrees to the left, so that the right armpit touches the outer side of the left thigh.
- Place the right shoulder beyond the left knee and stretch the right arm forward by turning the spine still more to the left by stretching the region at the back of the floating ribs. Take a breath.
- Exhale, move the right arm round the left knee, bend the right elbow and place the right hand at the back of the waist. The left knee is locked tightly in the right armpit. Take a breath.
- Now with a deep exhalation, twist the left arm from the shoulder behind the back and clasp the right hand behind the back with the left hand. Stretch the chest and pull up the spine.
- Remain in this position for 30 seconds. Breathing will be faster.
- Release the hands and straighten the legs.
- Then repeat the pose on the other side reading ‘right’ for ‘left’ and vice versa. Stay on both sides for the same length of time. Release the hands, straighten the legs and relax.
Effects of Marichyasana IV
The pressure of the heel against the navel and the clasping of the hands behind the back rejuvenate the nerves round the navel. Marichyasana IV tones the liver, spleen and pancreas. Calcium deposits in the shoulder joints are resolved and the pose helps free movement at the shoulders.
This article is presented to you by Abhyasa Yoga, Hyderabad. At Abhyasa you can learn and practice Hatha Yoga, Power Yoga, Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga, Asana, Pranayama and Meditation. Interested students may apply for Yoga Teacher Training Course at our Yoga Institute. Contact +91 9292403492, +91 40 64641292 for yoga classes and more details.