Parivritta means revolved, turned round or back. Trikona is a triangle. Parivritta Trikonasana is the revolving triangle posture. It is a counter pose to Uttihita Trikonasana.
- Stand in Tadasana. Take a deep inhalation and with a jump spread the legs apart sideways 3 to 3 ½ feet. Raise the arms sideways, in line with the shoulders, palms facing down.
- Turn the right foot sideways 90 degrees to the right. Turn the left foot 6o degrees to the right, keeping the left leg stretched out and tightened at the knee.
- Exhale, rotate the trunk along with the left leg in the opposite direction (to the right) so as to bring the left palm on the floor near the outer side of the right foot.
- Stretch the right arm up, bringing it in line with the left arm. Gaze at the right thumb.
- Keep the knees tight. Do not lift the toes of the right foot from the floor. Remember to rest the outer side of the left foot well on the floor.
- Stretch both the shoulders and shoulder-blades.
- Stay in this pose for half a minute with normal breathing.
- Inhale, lift the left hand from the floor, rotate the trunk back to its original position and come back to position 1.
- Exhale; repeat the pose on the left side by turning the left foot sideways 90 degrees to the left and the right foot 6o degrees to the left and place the right palm on the floor near the outer side of the left foot.
- Stay in the pose on both sides for the same length of time, which can be adjusted by doing, say, three to four deep respirations on each side.
- After completing the time, inhale, raise the trunk back to its original position, bring the toes to the front and keep the arms as in position 1.
- Exhale and jump back to Tadasana. This completes Parivritta Trikonasana.
Parivritta Trikonasana tones the thigh, calf and hamstring muscles. The spine and muscles of the back are also made to function properly, as the pose increases the blood supply round the lower part of the spinal region. The chest is expanded fully. The pose relieves pains in the back, invigorates the abdominal organs and strengthens the hip muscles.