Salamba Sirshasana III is a variation of Sirshasana.
Technique for Salamba Sirshasana III
- Kneel on the floor near the blanket. Widen the knees about one foot.
- Invert the palms and place them on the blanket between the knees so that the fingers point to the feet. The forearms from the wrist to the elbow should be kept perpendicular to the floor and parallel to each other. The distance between the palms should not be wider than that between the shoulders.
- Rest the crown of the head on the blanket just behind the wrists. The forehead will face the inner side of the wrists. The head should be placed in the centre of the two hands, so that the crown is equidistant from the palms on the floor.
- Press the wrists and palms down firmly, exhale, raise the feet from the floor, lift the legs up to a perpendicular position and balance. Do not widen the elbows, but try and bring them as close as possible.
- Balance in this position for a minute with normal breathing and then exhale and gently lower the legs to the floor.
- After learning to balance in this variation of Sirshasana, try to bring the hands as near to each other as possible until the sides of the palms and the little fingers touch each other. Also learn to go up and come down, keeping the legs straight without bending at the knees. This variation of Sirshasana will give firmness and confidence in balance.
This article is presented to you by Abhyasa Yoga, Hyderabad. At Abhyasa you can learn and practice Hatha Yoga, Power Yoga, Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga, Asana, Pranayama and Meditation. Interested students may apply for Yoga Teacher Training Course at our Yoga Institute. Contact +91 9292403492, +91 40 64641292 for yoga classes and more details.