Urdhva Prasarita Padasana – Urdhva means upright, above, high. Prasarita means extended, stretched out. Pada means foot.
- Lie flat on the back keeping the legs stretched out and tightened at the knees. Place the hands by the side of the legs.
- Exhale, move the arms over the head and stretch them out straight.
- Take two breaths.
- Exhale, raise the legs up through 30 degrees and hold the position for 15 to 20 seconds with normal breathing.
- Exhale, move the legs up to 60 degrees and hold for 15 to 20 seconds with normal breathing.
- Again exhale, move the legs higher still to the perpendicular and hold it for 30 to 60 seconds with normal breathing.
- Now exhale, lower the legs slowly to the floor and relax.
- Repeat 3 or 4 times from position 2 to 6.
If you cannot do all the three positions at one stretch, do them in 3 steps, resting between each.
Effects of Urdhva Prasarita Padasana
Urdhva Prasarita Padasana is a wonderful exercise for reducing fat round the abdomen. It strengthens the lumbar region of the back, tones the abdominal organs, and relieves those suffering from gastric trouble and flatulence.
This article is presented to you by Abhyasa Yoga, Hyderabad. At Abhyasa you can learn and practice Hatha Yoga, Power Yoga, Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga, Asana, Pranayama and Meditation. Interested students may apply for Yoga Teacher Training Course at our Yoga Institute. Contact +91 9292403492, +91 40 64641292 for yoga classes and more details.